By Joshua Robinson –
From Monday 15th May until Sunday 4th June, residents, businesses and anyone else interested can discover the latest plans for the improvements toward Brighouse.
More details about the £19.1 million investment are being revealed as part of the Town Deal which aims to transform the town centre, encourage more people to visit more often, and be a catalyst for further improvements in the years ahead.
The Town Deal also aims to create a more attractive environment for shoppers and visitors by putting the focus on people not vehicles.
David Whitehead, co-chair of the Brighouse Town Deal Board, said:
“The Brighouse Deal investment will have a huge impact on our town centre and we are excited by the changes which will encourage more people to come to the town, spend longer and spend more boosting our economy, creating jobs and being a catalyst for even more improvements in the future.
Plans for Brighouse:
- Updated designs for the new market building, on the existing site on Ship Street.
- Visualisations showing how two of the main roads in the town centre, Commercial Street and Bethel Street, could look.
- Showcasing new event and community spaces – both within the new market and on Thornton Square which will be transformed to return it to being at the heart of the town centre.
- Changes to the way traffic moves around the town are explained with maps showing new one-way systems to attract more visitors while still ensuring easy access to shops, businesses and venues for all.
How to Give Feedback:
For the next three weeks, until Sunday 4th June, the public are invited to give feedback on the projects which can be done in the following ways:
- Online at www.brighousedeal.co.uk
- At one of two Open Events:
Saturday 20th May between 10am – 3pm at Brighouse Open Market, and Wednesday 24th May between 6pm – 8pm at Brighouse Central Methodist Church
- By picking up a printed pack from Brighouse Library, the Brighouse BID Office on Bradford Road from Wednesday 17 May until 4 June
Whitehead said: “We understand though that many residents, shops, businesses and venues have lots of questions about what it will mean for them, which is why we have always been committed to sharing the plans, discussing them in detail and improving them. This process is at a crucial stage and I would encourage everyone to take a look at the plans and have their say in the coming weeks.”
Calderdale Council’s Cabinet Member for Towns, Engagement and Public Health, Cllr Sarah Courtney, said:
“We’re delighted to be able to share the latest exciting plans for Brighouse which show the projects really taking shape and moving a step closer to becoming a reality.
“The significant Brighouse Deal investment will truly transform areas of the town, making it an even better place to live, visit and do business. We’ve listened to local people throughout the process of developing the plans, and look forward to showing them the latest designs for improvements around the town.”
To provide feedback for the proposed plans either pick up a printed pack from Brighouse Library, attend one of the two Open Events, or online at www.brighousedeal.co.uk