By Oliver Thompson
The area of Huddersfield has been inhabited for over 4,000 years, with the oldest house thought to be erected in the 14th Century.
The title for the ‘oldest house in Huddersfield’ goes to Longley Old hall, Longlet Lane which can be found in the Lowerhouses area.
The building is Grade II listed and a survey conducted by the Yorkshire Vernacular Buildings Study Group revealing that the structure goes back to the 14th century.
Prominent family, the Ramsdens, owned the house from 1540 with the interior and exterior undergoing numerous transformations through-out the different eras, from medieval, Tudor, Jacobean and Victorian work.
Prior to the Ramsden family, the site was owned by the Wood family dating as far back as 1342, when the male line ceased following the death of John Wood, the site passed to William Ramsden through marriage to Joan Wood, the daughter of John.
The estate was passed onto William’s brother, John, who had been living at Longley in William’s absence in 1580. John Ramsden was focused on improving the estates and in 1577 built the new house, which was half a mile north of the original Longley Hall. By the time of his death in 1591, Longley Old Hall was part of the wealthy family of Ramsden who were truly counted as members of the gentry.
The site was put up for sale earlier this year in which the house was described as
” This delightful home has been sympathetically restored and includes period features such as stone leaded mullion windows, exposed ancient oak timbers, stone flagged floors, and oak panelling in the library, hall and drawing-room.
“The grounds include a woodland backdrop and numerous outbuildings lending themselves to varying uses.”