By Leah Conway –
Huddersfield based community organisation, Conscious Youth C.I.C has launched a Christmas card design challenge for primary and secondary school children across Kirklees.
Conscious Youth is a not for profit company formed in 2016 and based in Kirklees. Conscious Youth has worked with over 900 young people across the five years it has been established. It works to inspire, engage and empower young people and young adults through community participation.
Through their local work, Conscious Youth has seen first-hand how the pandemic has impacted Kirklees. Through the Christmas card challenge, they want to encourage young people in the area to express what the pandemic has been like for them and to summarise their 2021 experience through their designs. Five designs will win, and they will be rewarded with a £20 Amazon voucher and be included in Conscious Youth’s ‘The Big Christmas Card Swap’ campaign. The competition closes on 7 November and the Christmas card swap campaign will launch in November with more details to follow soon.
How to enter:
- Design the front of a Christmas card on an A4 piece of paper
- Scan/take photo of the design and upload to laptop or computer
- Send entries as a PDF, word document, JPG or Google doc to this email address – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Only one entry per child
- Entrants must currently be attending primary or secondary school in the Kirklees area and aged between 5 and 16 years old
- Children must have permission from a parent or guardian before submitting their designs, or a parent or guardian can submit designs on behalf of their child
- All entries must be received by the deadline of 5.30pm on 7 November 2021
- Any personal details will only be used to administer the competition
- The card design shouldn’t include copyright-infringing material or any offensive or libellous content
- Participants can use any media they wish to create their design e.g. pencil, crayon, pen or paint
- Full terms and conditions can be found here: https://consciousyouth.co.uk/christmas-card-design-challenge/
The winners will be chosen within seven days of the competition’s end date.
Showcase and recognise
Co-founder and director of programmes at Conscious Youth, Serena Johnson, comments on the launch of the competition: “We are really excited to launch this Christmas card design challenge, not only will it be a great way to showcase talented young artists, but it will be contributing to some more exciting plans we have for the festive season.
“The pandemic has impacted children all over the country in many different ways, and I think this Christmas Card challenge will be a great way to allow children to express their emotions and thoughts that have built up over the past 18 months. Children have a unique outlook and perspective of the world and we really want to showcase and recognise that as well as all the budding artists we have living right here in Kirklees.”