Image Credit: Adam Wyles, Attribution-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-ND 2.0)
By Leah Conway –
Yorkshire Day is a day to celebrate all things Yorkshire, which has been celebrated since 1975. The day was originally celebrated by the Yorkshire Ridings Society. It was initially a protest against the local government act 1972 which took effect in 1974, which wanted to reorganise the land of the traditional Yorkshire Ridings.
Each year Yorkshire Day is a celebration of the county’s history and historic riding. Each year one of the traditions is the reading of the Yorkshire Declaration of Integrity, traditionally recited in the city of York. The recital is a declaration of Yorkshire’s historical three ridings and boundaries.
Now the day has become a day to celebrate all things Yorkshire whether it be traditions or food, each year there’s a range of activities and celebrations to join in on.
How to get involved this Yorkshire Day:
- Weekend celebrations in York, 30 July to 1 August – The streets of York will be decorated with flags and bunting. Giant TV screens will be in the city centre playing archive footage and family-friendly films. There will be ‘selfie points’ placed throughout York, equipped with Yorkshire scenery and props. The streets will be full of stalls with locally produced products
- Official Civic Celebrations, Online – This year’s official Yorkshire Day celebrations will be taking place online – a stream full of entertainment including local poets and storytellers.
- Yorkshire Day Gala 2021 in Beaumont Park – Friends of Beaumont Park are hosting Yorkshire Day events in the afternoon. They will be filled with funfairs, stalls, face painting, food stands and traditional games
- Welly Throwing Contest – Yorkshire Cancer Research is hosting a virtual event involving a welly throwing contest and a fundraising and activity-packed day with their fundraising pack
- Great Yorkshire Picnic, Sewerby Hall and Gardens, Bridlington – A big community picnic on the historic house’s gardens
- Activities at Barnsley Museums– Barnsley Museums have organised a variety of Yorkshire Day activities including a Yorkshire pudding competition and a Yorkshire sonnet among more.
- Proper Pizza Picnic, Kiplin Hall & Gardens – Enjoy an evening community picnic in the gardens.
Check out our video on Yorkshire Dialect from 2013: